Tuesday 10 November 2015

Cockatiels and Quails

Before we moved down to the Isle of Wight I used to have a cage with Bengalese Finches. I loved these little birds, they were small, very loud and very sociable. However it was unfair to move them all the way down here to the island with possibly no space to keep them, so we sold them. It was always my intention to get them again, however time, kids, moving house again just took over.

Everytime I go to the pet shop I would go and have a look and see what they had, not to buy but just to look at them. I spoke on many occasions about getting something built outdoors so that I could really have a good setup for them but to be honest I have too many pets around the house.

  • 1 Dog
  • 2 Cats
  • 1 Guinea Pig
  • 1 Hamster
  • Fish Tank

It doesn't matter what the kids say to get the pets, at the end of the day it's always me that has to clean up and look after them generally. So adding birds to my collection along with 5 kids is a NO GO Area for me.

Then Fathers Day came and what did I get...2 Cockatiels. The big huff and the thought of two more pets whilst pretending to be really happy about it just weighed down on me lol.

The cage when we got it, yeah it looked good, but watching the birds and chatting to them all the time you can tell they were in a bad mood, they were protective of their space, then I read some details and started to work out "How They Worked" and how I could make their lives better with me.

Source http://ift.tt/1kJPkUt

I have learned a great deal, and I always reference the site in what I am doing. So I went Bird Cageand bought them their own cage, I bought them BIGGER and Wider."Bird Cage from Amazon".. the one I bought is 66 x 66 x 155 cm (WxDxH)  So it's quite tall and lots of space.

Now instead of the Cockatiels  being forced to live with each other they have their own space. Actually they have too much space now, so a friend of my wife had two Quails that are birds that who keep to the bottom of the cage, they "TRY" and keep it tidy by eating what the Cockatiels drop at the bottom, well she wanted them gone, so I ended up with them.

These are brilliant little  pheasant from the family Phasianidae. They are really fast and really friendly as well. I now have 4 birds in the cage and they all live and work together. Feeding time is great with them all, I feed the quails keeping everything low and I feed the Cockatiels keeping everything mid height so that there is plenty of freedom higher up. Actually would you like to see a video I did of them?

Not bad, I'm still learning them, I'm still interacting all the time with them. It's great when everyone is watching the television and I start to whistle, all the birds respond and make lots of noise just to annoy the tv viewing pleasure of others lol.

The Grey one I call Mr Grayson, the Yellow one is called Poppit, I haven't name the quails purely because they aren't brave enough to come to me yet. They do have their unique looks, and one of them does like to come up to the bars, he raises his head up and down looking over, he seems to be the brave one, where as the other one will run like mad behind the box we put in there to give them protection if they needed it. I have heard Mr Grayson being picked on when he does venture down to the food on the floor lol. The quails take no prisoners lol.

I lay on the sofa at night, the light from the fish tank gives the birds good light so I can just sit and watch the birds, they do their thing and they do come to the front of the cage a lot, they make their noises and if I engage with them they respond back. As much as Poppit doesn't go down to the ground, I have opened up the cage and she is the first one to come to the door, she is the braver one with the door open where as Mr Grayson is the brave one with it close. He likes to get close and shout at you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment